Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Power of Positive Affirmations



This summer-like spring weather has me excited about going to the beach this year. I always try to do a little more physical activity in preparation for my “beach attire.” Since I already do yoga and dance almost every day I decided to add something more aerobic to my repertoire. Since I already spend enough time away from the family I decided to do something in-house. My daughter got a Wii Fit for her birthday so I decided to use it as a way to workout.

When the program started there was an option to do a body assessment. At first I thought there was no need to because I am already in decent shape. But curiosity got the best of me and I decided to go on and do it. To my surprise (more like horror) not only was my BMI (body mass index) borderline overweight but also my "real" age was eleven years older than my actual age. My little “Mii” went from looking fit to having a bulging belly and a hunched spine (which reminds me, I need to contact Nintendo about being a little more sensitive). I reset the game and tried it again and the results were only slightly better. That sinking feeling set in and my mood went down south.

There had to be something going on, it had to be some sort of mistake. I eat well, drink more than the suggested amount of water and I am a yoga and dance teacher for goodness sake! Not one to stay in a bad mood I started to meditate and do more yoga to shift my energy. Though my meditation and yoga practice helped me feel better my mood did not fully improve. I thought back to the days in high school when I was a size 3 and could eat whatever I wanted without worrying it would stick to my hips. At this stage in my life I am healthier than I had ever been in and I was allowing this silly little game get me down.

I needed to do more to get out of my funk. During my meditation I pushed the negative thoughts away but in essence they were still there lingering in the background. I decided to face these thoughts and flip it. I listened to my inner chatter and wrote down positive affirmations to counter self-defeating thoughts. Positive affirmations are powerful statements that transform negative energy by changing our internal dialogue. So instead of “I feel fat” I wrote down “I am fit”. Another powerful affirmation that helped quite a bit is “I am the perfect size, the perfect weight and in perfect health.” It put everything into perspective and addressed exactly what I was feeling.

I recited my affirmations several times a day for the next few days and had a few written on sticky notes around the house. Slowly but surely my mood was lifted. I don’t want to be a size 3 again, I am happy at the size that I am and I truly feel WONDERFUL! My body isn’t stricken with constant colds anymore and my asthma is a thing of the past. The affirmations not only lifted my mood but they reminded me that I have a lot to be grateful for.

The beauty of positive affirmations is that we can immediately shift negative energy by changing our inner dialogue. If you are stuck in a rut or need positive reinforcement, here are five simple steps for creating your own unique positive affirmations:

1. Make a short list of things that are contributing to negative thoughts/feelings.

2. Write the list again in a positive sense. For example "I am overweight" becomes "I am healthy, happy and the perfect weight." Be sure to begin each with "I" and write it in the present tense as if it were already accomplished. Statements should be short and concise.

3. Believe in your affirmations! Don’t write anything that would cause you to say “yeah right!”, they have to be true to you.

4. Put your affirmations where you can see them daily. They are best put in places that you frequent such as the kitchen or bathroom.

5. Repeat your affirmations (with conviction!) several times a day.


Negative thoughts and bad moods happen - we all have our moments; it is part of the human experience. Despite it all know and believe that we can create a life that we love.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi,

You've got an incredibly wonderful blog. A lot of people usually do not realize what mind power can do to one's good results Begin directing the awesome power of your mind and subconscious mind to build the lifetime you want with our Mind Power training system. Get the No cost Mp3, E-Course and CD these days and start directing the power of your respective mind and subconscious mind to develop the life you want - in 7-simple methods.