Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My resolution


Anyone who knows me well knows that I am anti-resolutions. I took the stand against resolutions many years ago because of the self-induced stress that accomplishing and maintaining them brought. My resolutions always involved being more centered, losing weight and advancing my career all in an unrealistic timeframe. Each February I found myself frustrated with myself and my resolutions. My unhealthy habits resumed and were worse than before I set my goals. So one year I resolved never again to set resolutions.

This year I faced some of my greatest challenges and (thank God) greatest successes. Unfortunately during my expansion hub bub I lost sight of what was really important – my health. As an avid meditator and yoga practitioner I was felt that I was living a perfectly balanced life. I was working more and I was finally getting some attention for the business, plus I still had my sanity, right? My family obligations were never neglected even though I spent long hours at the new studio. There was always time to cook a healthy meal, spend time with my daughter and husband and do whatever housework I had the energy for.

Well, what I forget how important it was for me to REST. The gift and the curse of what I do is that it doesn’t feel like work. I often find myself working an ungodly amount of hours without realizing it. Soon I began to experience some very odd health problems that didn’t necessarily put me down for the count but definitely interfered with my hectic work schedule. So I bit the bullet and went to see a Naturopathic Doctor. We spent two hours discussing my work schedule, my tendencies, my fear of failure and other things that were (seemingly) unrelated to my health issues. At the close of my session he explained what was going on and that the root cause of ALL of my current issues was burnout. At first I tried to deny it, I was doing yoga, I was meditating and I am always in a (semi) constant state of Samadhi (bliss), right?

So often we overwork ourselves because we think we can handle it. We are bound by obligations and wouldn’t even think of lessening the load because there are people who depend on us. Well guess what? You need you too! If we don’t take care of ourselves we aren’t any good to anyone.

This year I am breaking my anti-resolutions rule. I NOW resolve to take it easy, work smarter, relax more often, say “no” more often and honor myself in each and every decision that is made.

So what do you resolve?

2 comments:

Ananda said...

Thank you for sharing your journey. May you continue to take care of yourself in 2009.

My intentions are to continue to love and accept myself, practice self-care, surrender my ego, open my heart, be present, offer myself kindness and gentleness as I serve others with my gifts, create more space in my life by releasing the need to judge and control, embody the eightfold path especially by practicing right speech, embrace all of my archetypes, and celebrate life with laughter and spending time with positive people. Happy New Year. Many blessings to you and your family!

Anonymous said...

Hey sweetie...thank you for posting this. I know we talked about this during the last month during the weekly Abundance Meditatiion classes. I think there is something to putting in writing out there so there is a sense of accountabililty!

You and a few others inspired me to start a new blog: Reflections of a Gemini Artist, which I can not only show off my artistic work but also share my thoughts on things such as this. View this post for my New Year's goal...which is in one word: RELEASE (thank you for your inspiration for this one too!)
http://geminiartdiva.blogspot.com/2008/12/my-word-for-2009-release.html

Peace and Many Blessings and Let's Shine in 09

sjb